‘Sodbuster’ stand out on campus

The ‘Sodbuster’ sculpture was purchased in 1984, and stands tall among the foliage north of Elliott Hall on the WSU campus.

When he heard about the sculpture, freshman August Fielding denoted interest, albeit slight confusion.

“Wait, which one?” he said.

Although situated southeast of the Rhatigan Student Center, and in spite of its considerable size, several students fail to notice it right away — Luis Jimenez, Jr.’s “Sodbuster: San Isidro” stands tall on campus since it was purchased with SGA funds in 1984, and sports a colored fiberglass and acrylic-urethane finish.

As soon as he laid eyes on it for the first time, Fielding was quick to offer his analysis on the sculpture and the meaning thereof.

I a hard-working man pushing through struggles to try to reach his life goals,” he said. “Bulls represent his support system in life — his friends and family — because they help him pull the plow.”

Alumnus Tyler Miller became familiar with the sculptures throughout his years at WSU. Despite forgetting some, “Sodbuster: San Isidro” remains within his memory.

“Upon first look, the guy on the ox seems pissed off as heck,” he said. “Holy crap, the muscles on the ox — thing looks like some kind of boss battle from God of War.”

Jana Durfee, the interim museum curator at the Ulrich Museum of Art, subsequently addressed the true metaphor within the sculpture, aside from explaining its origins.

‘Sodbuster’ is a heroic and contemporary sculpture dedicated to the farmer, who is associated in the title with the name of the Catholic patron saint of farmers, San Isidro,” she said.

“Potshards and corn kernels being upturned by the plow relate to Jimenez’s experiences in Hondo, N.M.  

The man behind the plow is a portrait of a Hondo woodchopper whom Jimenez had befriended.”

Around 8 p.m., the sun sets down. Not a soul walks around campus.

Only cicadas are heard. He keeps on plowing.