Music students say goodbye to professor of 40 years

The lights dimmed in Miller Concert Hall Sunday night as students, co-workers, friends and family of Dr. Dorothy Crum gathered to celebrate her career at Wichita State.

Crum took the stage to greet and thank the audience for their love and support.

“I didn’t think anyone would show up,” Crum said to the audience. “We were brought together with music so I thought it would be best to end that way.”

Crum has been a professor at Wichita State since 1973, cultivating and encouraging students in their vocal music careers.

“She had me doing all sorts of weird vocal things when I met her this year,” freshman Garrett Viets said. “But in my first hour with her, she made me a better singer.”

It was last year that Crum came up with the idea to invite all of her students to come back and help her say goodbye.

Students then planned and invited many alumni to come back to WSU and not only sing, but roast their professor.

The show was divided into sections of students — musical theater, music education and opera with three vocal DJs guiding the occasion.

Senior Caitlyn Marrero walked out on stage dressed in a brown ball gown to sing a solo to her professor. Halfway through, a DJ stormed the stage dressed as Crum, to the laughter of the audience. The DJ danced around Marrero giving her corrections.

“I want to teach,” Marrero said. “But that never mattered to Crum. She wants all her students to be the best performers they can be.”

The DJs also read Crum’s “rate my professor” rankings from the popular online website to the audience.

They also showed video of Crum from throughout the semester. Students throughout the night poked fun at their teacher, many sang solos and group songs, and all thanked her.

As a surprise for Crum midway through the show, a mix of current and old colleagues took the stage to serenade and thank her with an original song.

“Thank you for all you’ve given to us,” they sang. “We weren’t prepared…. Now it’s time to fly. Thank you.”