Homecoming candidates shocked at nominations

Last week five males and five females from Wichita State joined together to get to know each other, match up and take promotional pictures. 

No, it wasn’t for a new MTV show. It was for Homecoming week. 

The nominated seniors said they mostly felt shocked after getting selected out of thousands of seniors. 

“I am involved in one or two activities here on campus, and I didn’t think anyone noticed my work, because it’s mostly behind the scenes,” senior Kristyn Smith said. “I feel honored to represent WSU.”

Smith chose WSU after high school to be near her family. She said students have to make the effort to get involved at WSU.

“There are many students who just go to class and go home at WSU and then complain that there is nothing to do because we are a commuter school,” Smith said. “I think that is silly, because if you go sit in the Rhatigan Student Center for 20 minutes after your class, you’ll hear about 15 upcoming activities.”

Candidate Roy Moye III also feels like more students should come to homecoming events because it creates memories.

“I remember going with friends to the pancake event and the pancakes were just so fluffy,” Moye said. “It’s an opportunities to make friends and be a part of campus.”

Moye felt stunned by his nomination because he wasn’t pursing it. 

“I know some people were campaigning, but I really wasn’t,” Moye said. “The students chose who they want to see represent them.”

Candidate Matthew Slagle was surprised about his nomination, too, but felt a sense of pride for being nominated. 

“My brother was a homecoming king in high school and never told my parents,” Slagle said. “I am content with being nominated, but it would be cool to be King to see my parents faces light up.” 

Queen nominees are Mogie Curmode, Megan Davis, Olivia Franz, Madison Johnson and Smith. The King nominees are, Chad Gibney, Patrick Pirtle, Isaac Roehm, Slagle and Moye.

Shocker students and staff can vote this week in the RSC from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day. The coronation ceremony will be at the halftime show at the men’s basketball game at Charles Koch Arena on Saturday.