Novelist to present work

Award-winning writer Kevin Brockmeier is set to present his work at the Ulrich Museum of Art Friday Oct. 25.

The Writing Now, Reading Now series put on by the English department, showcases prominent writers from across the country.

Brockmeier is a novelist and short story writer best known for his fantasy fiction and use of figurative language. His works have earned him three O. Henry Prizes, The Chicago Tribune’s Nelson Algren Award and the Italo Calvino Short Fiction Award.

A professor from the English department knew of Brockmeier from the University of Iowa and asked him to present some of his work.

Creative Writing Program Director Margaret Dawe said the English department has always had a reading series and has exhibited the “Writing Now, Reading Now” series for the past two years.

“It is important for graduate and MFA students to attend these sessions because it’s what they want to do with their careers,” Dawe said.

Dawe said this also allows undergraduate English students a chance to analyze these sessions.

Brockmeier was born and raised in Little Rock, Ark. and graduated from Southwest Missouri State. He received his MFA while teaching at the Iowa Writers’ Workshop in 1997.

Sponsors include WSU Department of English, WSU University Libraries, Ulrich Museum, Watermark Books & Café and the Emory Lindquist Program.

The event is for 6:00 p.m. and is free to students and the public. A reception will be held prior to the presentation at 5:30 p.m.