Q & A with exchange student Luis Suaste

The echoes of vibrating strings and harmonious voices slowly faded through the hallways of Duerksen Fine Arts Center on Sept. 28 as students made their way out for the weekend.

For foreign exchange student, Luis Suaste, the sounds are all too familiar. He is a junior music major studying abroad from the University of Colima in Colima, Mexico. He arrived in Wichita in August and will return home in December.

Suaste spoke candidly about his experiences at Wichita State thus far:

How is America treating you?

It has been a great experience so far. The universities here are amazing.

Is there anything you dislike about Wichita or America?

I do not have one.

What is the biggest difference you have experienced?

People here are not as affectionate. I can’t kiss people when I meet them, but everyone has been very welcoming. It is very organized here, which makes things easier. I have also met people from all over the world. I have met beautiful [people] from Syria, Russia, Malaysia, Spain, Colombia, Germany, America and of course, Mexicans, among other nationalities.

What made you choose Wichita State?

One of my professors at my school in Mexico showed me a video of Julie Bees [a WSU professor in the School of Music] and Wichita State’s orchestra. She is the one that encouraged me to come, so I said yes.

Being a music major, do you play any instruments?

Yes. The piano, I have been playing for six years. I will conduct a chamber orchestra this semester.

What do you hope to attain with your experience from Wichita State?

Well, I plan to get a master’s in music from my university in Mexico, so this is good preparation for me. I also want to strengthen music education and fight for its socialization.

Would you encourage other students to study abroad?

Yes. You have to do this. It is an experience that you should have.

Explain some of the benefits from studying abroad.

You learn a different atmosphere and a new perspective. You can learn a different language and things about the world you never knew.

What is one thing you have learned here that you plan to take back to Mexico?

People here and all over the world have very beautiful hearts.