Global Faith in Action aims to engage students with religion

You can learn something other than reading, writing and mathematics outside of class at Wichita State without having to sit in a seat or hear a professor lecture.

The new WSU student group Global Faith in Action invites students to learn more about the variety of religions represented on campus.

GFIA President Chandler Williams said the group was formed to be a “safe environment” for people to talk about religion. She said many times, conflict between people of differing beliefs is caused by ignorance.

“The purpose of the group is educational – educational to build understanding,” Williams said. “So, through Global Faith, what we try to instill in people is taking time to just sit and listen to somebody and listen to where they’re coming from and understand their background.”

GFIA is a non-profit organization that was started in Wichita in 2009 by Sam Muyskens, a former pastor and past executive director of Inter-Faith Ministries. Williams said the organization’s beginnings stemmed from a conversation Muyskens had with a Haitian man whose school was in danger of closing, due to a lack of chalk.

“So, he loaded a suitcase full of chalk, and the next week, or something crazy like that, he flew out to Haiti, and he met the director of this school and clinic,” Williams said. “The director and he just really connected, and we’ve had a relationship with them ever since.”

After meeting Muyskens at a dinner last year, Williams offered to help with the organization. She noticed that other colleges promoted spiritual events for their students and thought that WSU needed something like that, so she started GFIA on campus.

Williams said several religious organizations at WSU have already become involved with GFIA, including those with Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Atheistic and Agnostic beliefs. Stuart Lasine, professor of women’s studies and religion, was approached by Williams to be the faculty adviser for the group.

“I attended the initial meeting, which was attended by several students from different religious and cultural backgrounds, all of whom have a sincere interest in seeking understanding among diverse faith traditions, stressing the moral and ethical values held in common by all of them,” Lasine said.

Rannfrid Thelle, lecturer in women’s studies and religion, will take a more active role because of Lasine’s busy schedule. However, Lasine will remain the faculty adviser.

“Dr. Thelle has long and varied experience in organizing and moderating interfaith dialogues during the many years she lived and worked in East Asia, Europe and the Middle East,” Lasine said.

GFIA is hosting Spiritual Wellness Week from Nov. 18 – 22 at WSU to educate participants about different religions and push them to recognize their similar values.

GFIA is also planning an alternative spring break trip to Haiti for students. Williams said the trips’s purpose is to help complete a landscaping project for the orphanage that GFIA supports. The cost of the trip is $1,800, which includes airfare, lodging and food while there and the cost of some of the landscaping materials. Williams said that the group will help those interested in raising funds.

“Right now, there’s not an application or anything,” Williams said. “If you’re interested and you want to go, we’ll take you. It’s just a commitment that you have to be ready for.”

For more information about going on the Haiti trip, there will be a meeting from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday, Room 265, in the Rhatigan Student Center. Additional meetings are set from noon to 1 p.m. Oct. 24 and Nov. 19 and 21, in the same RSC room.

For more information about GFIA or Spiritual Wellness Week, email [email protected].