This week’s brief news — May 17

Departments, students asked to clear out lost and found items before summer break

The Wichita State Police Department is requesting that department faculty and staff with lost and found boxes contact the WSUPD front desk to safely deposit and store unclaimed items over summer break. 

From May 15 through May 18, departments are asked to email UPD through their front desk email, [email protected], and include their name, the name of their department, the location of their lost and found bins, and a time and day UPD can pick up the items. 

Departments that miss the pick-up deadline must drop off the items themselves, or keep them stored within their facilities for the duration of summer break.

Students with missing items are encouraged to visit the department lost and found boxes or check with the Wichita State Police Department as soon as possible

College of Engineering recognizes award recipients from Open House, Bronze Propeller Competition winners

Wichita State engineering students were honored with competition, excellence, innovation and project awards during two separate ceremonies hosted on May 5 and 6. More than 90 faculty members and undergraduate and graduate students were honored at the annual Engineering Open House, and the top three teams and the professional category winner for the Bronze Propeller Competition were recognized.

Fifteen industry awards, including the Boeing Company Award of Excellence, Bombardier Awards and Evergy Taking Innovation to Heart awards, were given to student teams and individuals for various designs and projects. Graduate and faculty members were also honored via the Wallace Excellence Awards. A complete list of recipients can be viewed on the Engineering Open House 2023 Awards page on the WSU website.

Out of 12 competing teams, several undergraduate teams and one alum were honored for their flight designs in the Boeing Bronze Propeller Competition. Teams were judged on the product value, manufacturing assembly time, the number of payloads dropped on target, penalties and weight of their custom-made aircrafts by WSU Engineering deans, faculty, staff, and volunteering Boeing and Spirit employees. More than 81 flights were attempted during the day-long competition.

In first place, Team 3 — consisting of Amanda Mudra, Logan Mauch, Gabriel Kimuri, Alexander Dewerff and Trent Oberland — finished with a score of 35.2. 

A tie for second place, between Team 15 and Team 7, scored 34.3 and 21.2, respectively. 

There was a tie for third place as well between Team 5, with a score of 15.5, and Team 10, with a score of 13.7. 

The professional category was won by aerospace engineering alum Julian Chee with a score of 41.9. Additional names, scores and photos can be viewed from The 2023 Bronze Propeller Competition results page.

Spanish version of ‘Preventing Suicide’ training offered

Wichita State’s Counseling and Prevention Services (CAPS) hosted the first Spanish version of their #WSUWeSupportU “Preventing Suicide” training last Friday for students, faculty and staff. Participants received a free #TeApoyamos (We Support You) t-shirt upon completion of the training. 

Additional training events will be hosted in the future, and registration can be completed on the #WSUWeSupportU Suicide Prevention Training registration page on the WSU website.

Cars and Coffee to be hosted at Braeburn this weekend

Caffeine addicts and car fanatics are invited to attend the monthly Cars and Coffee gathering this Saturday in the Social Tap parking lot at Braeburn Square. From 8-11 a.m., four lots worth of show cars will be displayed for free viewing. 

Cars and Coffee hosts monthly car shows every third Saturday for Wichita community members. Additional information about the organization and its events can be found on the Cars and Coffee Wichita facebook page.

Keeping Up with the Crime Log: 

The Wichita State Police Department (WSUPD) maintains a daily log of incidents on the WSU campus and surrounding area. Each case and its details can be accessed via the Crime Log website on the WSU homepage.

This week, some notable entries were:

Found Property: Firearm magazine, ammunition, sword

WSUPD officers were called to Shocker Hall Saturday at noon after an individual called to report and turn in a found firearm magazine — loaded with ammunition — and a sword Friday afternoon. Responding officers filed a report of the incident, which has since been labeled as a ‘Found Property’ case. The Sunflower is currently obtaining the records for this incident and will provide additional information once available.

Public Disturbances: Starbucks, WSU Tech Old Town, Hillside and Shadybrook

Three public disturbance incidents were reported by WSUPD this week in locations both on and off the main campus. On May 11, officers were called to the Braeburn Square Starbucks location to deal with a disturbance inside the coffee shop. Less than half an hour later, officers were called to the WSU Tech Old Town campus on 213 N Mead for a disturbance, which was later accompanied by criminal damage to property charges after being assigned to investigations.

On Saturday morning, shortly after the first 125th Spring Commencement Ceremony started, officers responded to a disturbance at the parking lot by Hillside and Shadybrook streets. WSUPD officers were alerted by a Martin Security officer who was monitoring the nearby Koch Arena parking lot. Responding officers filed the incident as a disturbance.

Lost, Found, and Stolen:

A WSU student called officers last Wednesday afternoon to report that their Nintendo Switch had been stolen from the Heskett Center earlier that afternoon. The theft was assigned to investigations.

The next morning, an individual reported a possible case of theft from their room in The Flats. The incident was recorded as an information case due to the uncertainty of whether the items were stolen or misplaced.

WSUPD contacted the Wichita Police Department at 3 a.m. on Saturday morning to alert them of a shoplifting case at the Kwik Shop northeast of campus. While WSUPD can make arrests off of campus, they prefer to allocate their time and resources to student needs.

In the morning hours before the Spring 2023 Commencement Ceremony, officers found lost property during a walk through of Koch Arena. The next morning, lost property was also found outside of the Arena on the 3300 block of 21st street. 

Individuals with missing property can fill out a lost property report on the WSUPD Lost and Found page or contact the WSUPD department.