SGA invites public to weigh in on smoking ban

The Student Government Association scheduled two open forum talks this week where the Wichita State population can voice their opinions about the proposed on-campus smoking ban. The forums will take place at 1 p.m. Wednesday and 11 a.m. Friday in room 305 of the Rhatigan Student Center.

“We open the forums because we are student representatives. We want to know what the students are thinking,” SGA president Luis Carbajal said.

He said he has spoken with many people about the issue.

“I have heard from both sides. There are some SGA senators who argue: is it fair for the students who do smoke to have to cross the street to smoke? But then again, is it fair for those who don’t smoke to have to walk through it?” Carbajal said. 

Carbajal said it is a difficult issue and does not expect everyone to agree with the decision. 

Casey Donnell, a SGA senator, said, “The smoking ban takes away a freedom for students without a strong demand.

“If smoking is banned at Fairmount Towers, it could become a potential safety hazard. Students would have to walk off school property which could be dangerous.”

An off-campus presentation by the Tobacco Free Kansas Coalition is also scheduled for this week. The event, “Unfiltered,” will provide information about college campuses that have tobacco-free environments. It is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Murdock Theatre, 536 N. Broadway, in Wichita. It is free and lunch will be provided. 

Carbajal believes he has wide support from administration and students on the policy change.