New department promotes involvement

SAC’s activities such as Welcomefest help students meet a variety of groups on campus.

In July, Wichita State created an office to organize different ways students could get involved on campus. This new department, Student Involvement, incorporates the areas of Civil Engagement, Greek Life, Leadership, Service-Learning, Student Activities Council and other student organizations. Nancy Loosle, director of student involvement, believes that it is important for every student to investigate their interests and get involved on campus.

“It really helps round out your college experience, and make it much more fulfilling,” she said. “But it’s also something that, whether you go to grad school or jobs, if they see that  you’re involved, it also looks good on their resume.”

There are about 175 student organizations currently on campus, each dedicated to several student interests. From the Asian Student Organization to Bacon Tuesdays, there is a wide variety of groups covering just about every area one could think of. Some require little participation with monthly meetings and few events while others ask for weekly involvement. 

“All of it comes down to what you want to get out of it and the time you want to put into it,” Loosle said. 

Students have the option of joining an organization, participating in community service events, shaping leadership qualities or joining a Greek chapter. All categories fall under the mission of Student Involvement. 

Abram Howell, president of Atheists & Agnostics, said that he has benefitted from being involved with a student organization on campus. 

“The Atheists & Agnostics have helped me shape responses to concerns from beliefs, foster a passion for religious conversations, and provided an R & D of sorts for ideas on the future,” he said. “The on-stage discussions with faith leaders have been invaluable for me and, hopefully, other students.”

Atheists & Agnostics is a group open to anyone to convene and converse on the science and logics behind religious beliefs. 

“I co-founded the group because there wasn’t any place for students to discuss beliefs critically,” Howell said. “Now there is a space that acts as a forum for believers and unbelievers to engage freely.”

Howell said that his organization has positively affected his college experience because of the friendships and connections he’s made on campus and in the community. 

Ashley Brink, president of Feminists on Campus Uniting Students (FOCUS) and Mortar Board is also a member of Atheists & Agnostic, as well as a few other student organizations. The depth of her involvement stemmed from her finding several groups she was interested in. 

“They’ve all contributed to who I am as a person and helped me grow,” she said. “They’ve helped me as far as applying for internships for jobs and getting recommendations from so many different people. This is the time of our lives where you are always changing and growing and learning. Overall it has taught me a lot about who I am.”

Brink said the Atheists & Agnostics group has made it more comfortable for her to voice her opinions and beliefs with her peers. 

“Living in Kansas, it’s kind of hard to find a lot of like-minded people, but people who understand you and your views, it’s just nice talking with people and rationalizing things with logic,” she said. 

Students who are interested in getting involved are encouraged to visit the Student Involvement office on the third floor of the Rhatigan Student Center or visit www.wichita.edu/involvement.

“Come talk to us, meet with any of our staff and we can take you through all the different areas of ways to get involved,” Loosle said.  “Figure out what you want to get out of the experience and maybe what you’re interested in.”