Panhellenic Council wraps up recruitment week

The Panhellenic Council held its annual recruitment week from Sept. 8 through Sept. 12. 

The five-day long process included different themed nights to show off each sorority and what they have to offer the recruits. Recruitment is a chance for recruits to pick which sorority they prefer, but also for the sororities to pick recruits.

The recruits had a dress code for every night to be uniform with the other recruits and sorority members. Whether it was jeans and a WSU shirt or “date night” attire, the Panhellenic Council made sure that every night had a different dress code that everyone had to abide by. 

“I liked having the dress code, especially the ‘date night’ apparel night because it wasn’t too dressed up but at the same time not too dressed down,” freshman recruit Alexia Pham said. 

The first night of recruitment was “House Tour Night” where the recruits tour each sorority house and meet members of the sorority giving tours. The five sororities that are a part of the Panhellenic Council are Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Delta Delta, Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma, and Gamma Phi Beta. 

The following night was “Philanthropy Night.” Each sorority has different Philanthropy events that are held every year, so the night is utilized to explain the events to the recruits. 

“My favorite night was philanthropy night because the girls truly love the different philanthropies and listening to them explain what they do and how amazing each one is was really cool,” freshman recruit Kari Miller said. 

The third night, Saturday, was “Values Night.” The recruits filled out five values they stand by, such as leadership, friendship, sisterhood and honesty. The purpose of the night is to see which values the recruits picked and how they match up to the sororities’ values. 

“Values Night was a super enjoyable experience,” freshman recruit Jumanah Shourbaji said. “It was fun to hear what values were important to the other girls and to meet girls that have the same values that I have.”

The second to last day before the cards are given out, the recruits fill out preference cards on “Preference Night.” During that night, the sorority members show the recruits their rituals and some speak about their personal experiences in the sororities, along with chanting their group chants. This is a night where the recruits pick their preferences. 

“Bid Day,” finally came around on Monday, which is the final day of recruitment and the day the recruits found out which sororities they’ll be joining. A member from the sorority holds a sign with the recruit’s name on it to pick them up and welcome them to the house. 

After the recruits find out which sorority wants them they have the option to sign the bid card or drop the sorority all together. If they decide to sign, the recruits get a shirt of their sorority and dress up for pictures, chants and meeting other signees. 

“My favorite night was by far bid day,” freshman recruit Cali Despommier said. “It’s basically a huge celebration of the emotional week that we experienced and you really get a good feel of what your sorority sisterhood is like.” 

The Panhellenic Council plans a five-day long recruitment process in hopes of finding the recruits who best fit. Once a recruit joins a sorority, they cannot switch, so finding the right match is important to the council. 

“I think that my favorite part was getting to know and meet so many different women and then seeing their faces light up on Bid Day when they ran out of the RSC to find the girl that was picking them up,” Delta Gamma member Rachael Schremmer said. “The process in my opinion is pretty effective, they always say trust the process and at the end of the day most people end up in the house that is right for them.”