Shockers can’t break losing streak, fall to Arkansas State

With their third game out of the way, the women’s basketball team can’t seem to break their losing streak with a 67-40 loss against Arkansas State University on Saturday.

Even though the season has started off a little rocky, team leaders have definitely come to light.

Junior Brittany Martin led the team with eight points, 11 rebounds and one assist. Junior Jaleesa Chapel also scored eight points with two rebounds and one assist. Freshman Jyar Francis was the final leader with eight points and four rebounds.

With these three ladies consistently leading the team in scoring, other team members followed Saturday against Arkansas State.

Freshman Ellie Lehne scored six points and added four rebounds, followed by sophomore Diamond Lockhart with four points, one rebound and three assists. Junior TaQuandra Mike also added four points, and sophomore Aundra Stovall put up two points for the day with three rebounds and three assists.

Overall, the Shockers seemed to struggle across the board with only 37 percent (19-51) shooting from the field and 11 percent (1-9) from the three-point line.

Arkansas State seemed to take advantage of that by shooting 45 percent (27-60) from the field and 18 percent (2-11) from the three-point line.

With such low shooting percentages, the final score was inevitable. WSU was out-scored in all four quarters, 14-10 in the first, 14-8 in the second, 17-6 in the third and 22-16 in the fourth.

With their fourth game behind them, the team will take on Richmond, Florida International and Marquette during the FIU Thanksgiving Classic Tournament, which begins Friday at FIU Arena in Miami.

Join the Shockers for the first tournament game against Richmond at 1 p.m. Friday. The Florida International game is scheduled for 11 a.m. Sunday, followed by Marquette at 1 p.m Sunday.