Four places incoming students should know

Heskett Center

Between the late-night studying and frequent snack breaks between classes, college can be hard on students’ health. The Heskett Center, home of the Campus Recreation office, offers health and fitness classes, weight and cardio machines, a rock wall and much more—all in the name of promoting healthy students. The entrance to the Heskett Center is sandwiched between Lindquist Hall (tallest building on campus) and the tennis courts. 

Students can rent lockers on a semester-by-semester basis. Massage and personal training are available, at much cheaper rates than off-campus locations. 

Campus Recreation is where students go to sign up for intramural sports, sport clubs and equipment rentals. Campus Recreation offers a “reward” program for frequent Heskett users called the 100 Mile Club. While the Heskett does host bi-annual blood drives, its most popular event of the year is the annual Pumpkin Run that happens every October where Shockers are known to don costumes and run the WSU campus.

Contact the Campus Recreation Office at (316) 978-3082.

Contact the Intramural Sports Office at (316) 978-5284.

Media Resources Center

The Media Resources Center resides behind Ablah Library. MRC operates the KMUW-FM 89.1 public radio station along with WSU-TV on cable channel 13. For students taking e-learning and telecourse classes, the MRC is a valuable resource for troubleshooting problems. 

WSU has its own television show called “Wichita State and the World.” The third season of the thirty-minute show starts on Sept. 9. The MRC also offers media editing and duplication, and video services. 

Follow @elearninghub for up-to-date WSU e-learning news.

Contact video services at (316) 978-7760.

Contact KMUW at (316) 978-6789. Programming can be heard on 89.1 or online at kmuw.org.

Campus Police Station

The campus police station west faces onto Perimeter Rd. and is on the far side of the parking lot behind Grace Wilkie Hall. The location seems inconvenient but Campus Safety makes up for it with twenty emergency call boxes scattered across campus. The boxes can be recognized by the yellow poles they are attached to. By dialing 911 on one of these boxes, police will automatically head to that location without needing to hear the call. If a student receives a parking violation and they want to appeal, the campus police station handles the appeal process. The Shocker Safe Ride program is promoted by the police station. Any WSU student may use the safe ride program for free (tipping recommended) within the Wichita city limits 7 p.m.-7 a.m., 365 days a year. The ShockerAlert system goes automatically to students email accounts in the case of severe weather and campus safety.

Go to wichita.edu/alert to sign up for ShockerAlert texts—a text will get noticed well before an email and that time difference could save lives.

Contact the Campus Police department at (316) 978-3450.

Contact Shocker Safe Ride at (316) 978-RIDE (7433).

Newman Center 

The Newman Center (NC), and St. Paul’s Catholic Church, is located on the south side of campus between the southern loop of Perimeter Rd. and 17th St. The NC can be a great place to network and make friends for Catholic students at WSU. 

Every Monday night at 7 p.m. the NC hosts a fellowship night where Catholic shockers can mingle, play games, and gather in the NC chapel for an end-of-night service. NC offers service opportunities to registered students including a canned food drive, a fall break service project, and a spring break service trip. Retreats are a staple at the NC, the first one of the year occurs on the weekend of Sept. 7 and will include kayaking, swimming and outdoor sports. 

Contact the Newman Center at (316) 684-6896.

Follow @ShockerCatholic for up-to-date Newman Center news.