Shockers score four-star point guard Alex Lomax, five others in early signing period

Alex Lomax, a four-star point guard, announced his commitment to Wichita State Wednesday evening

Wichita State fans holds up the shockers during the exhibition opener against Henderson State in Koch Arena.

Alex Lomax completed a successful day of recruiting for Wichita State ending the first day of the early signing period.

The early signing period is open until Wednesday, and recruits aren’t able to sign again until April 18, 2018.

Lomax, a 5-11 point guard from Memphis, announced his commitment to join the Shockers in the 2018-19 season via Twitter. Lomax is listed as a four-star prospect and the No. 123 player in the class of 2018, listed by Rivals.

The Shockers beat out Memphis, Florida and Ole Miss, who all targeted the four-star point guard. Media outlets have compared Lomax to former WSU All-American point guard Fred VanVleet.

Lomax represents a new territory of recruiting for Wichita State, becoming the second recruit from Tennessee — along with freshman Rod Brown — WSU has picked up in the last year. Lomax joins Chance Moore, a 6-9 wing from Louisville, who announced his commitment earlier Wednesday afternoon.

Moore graduated high school last year and is currently playing for Beckly Prep, a prep academy in West Virginia.

Commitments from Moore and Lomax ensures six verbal commitments for Gregg Marshall and Co. next season.

Other commitments

Erik Stevenson — 6-foot-4, 180-lbs

Stevenson is a three-star shooting guard listed by 247Sports.

Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler — 6-foot-9, 260-lbs

Bear-Chandler initially signed with New Mexico, and was granted release after the program fired its coach. After announcing a verbal commitment to Wichita State, he enrolled at Sunrise Christian Academy where he will play for a season. He was rated a four-star prospect by ESPN.

Morris Udeze — 6-foot-8, 240-lbs

Udeze is a three-star prospect listed by 247Sports and Rivals. He enrolled at Montverde Academy, a prep school in Florida after graduating high school in Texas.  

Jaime Echenique — 6-foot-11, 220-lbs

Echenique is a sophomore at Trinity Valley Community College in Texas where he started 26 games as a freshman.

No vacancies?

Wichita State graduates six seniors at the end of the season.

With the announcements from Wednesday’s early signing day, the Shockers have commitments from six players next season.

WSU could sign more than six players, which could allay any damage from the departure of either Landry Shamet or Markis McDuffie should they consider the NBA Draft.

McDuffie exercised his right to test the NBA Draft last year and return to school. Should he declare this year, he will forfeit his opportunity to return for a senior season. Shamet still possesses the opportunity to return should he test the NBA Draft market this summer.

Should the Shockers receive commitments from more than two players and not see either Shamet or McDuffie declare for the NBA, recruits could spend a year in prep school at Sunrise Christian Academy.

Evan Pflugradt, Opinion Editor
Evan Pflugradt is the Opinion Editor and former Editor-in-Chief of The Sunflower. Pflugradt graduated from the Elliott School of Communication in spring 2017, and was recognized as the Elliott School’s Most Outstanding Journalism Graduate for the 2017 graduating class. Pflugradt graduated from Wichita State with a bachelor of arts in communication — journalism. He’s enjoyed...