Shamet named to Naismith Trophy watch list

Preseason accolades continue to pour in for Wichita State point guard Landry Shamet

Landry+Shamet+poses+during+Wichita+State%27s+media+day.+
Landry Shamet poses during Wichita State's media day.

Add to the list of preseason hype for Shocker sophomore point guard Landry Shamet. Shamet was named to the Naismith Trophy watch list Thursday morning.

Shamet was one of 50 players included on the preseason watch list. The award is given to college basketball’s most outstanding player.

The list will be cut from 50 to a midseason list of 30 players on Feb. 13. The winner will be announced April 1.

Shamet joins former Shockers Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet who appeared on preseason and midseason lists for the Naismith Trophy in 2014-15 and 2015-16. VanVleet appeared on the list three times, making the cut as a semifinalist in his sophomore season in 2013-14.

Wichita State Shockers guard Landry Shamet breaks around a Newman defender during the charity exhibition game in Koch Arena.

Head coach Gregg Marshall indicated his sophomore point guard, Shamet, should see minutes in the Shockers’ season opener against the University of Missouri-Kansas City Friday. Shamet is recovering from a stress fracture in his right foot that required surgery in late July. He returned to action in the second of WSU’s exhibitions on Monday against Newman where he shot a perfect 3-3 from the field for eight points, two assists and two rebounds in limited minutes.

Pundits have given significant credit to Shamet, the former Missouri Valley Conference Freshman of the Year, naming him as a candidate to watch lists for the Oscar Robertson Trophy, Lute Olson Award, and the Bob Cousy Award.

Shamet is also included on the American Athletic Conference’s preseason first team.

Evan Pflugradt, Sports Editor

Evan Pflugradt is the Sports Editor of The Sunflower.

Pflugradt graduated from the Elliott School of Communication in spring 2017, and was recognized as the Elliott School’s Most Outstanding Journalism Graduate for the 2017 graduating class. Pflugradt graduated from Wichita State with a bachelor of arts in communication — journalism.

He has previously served as The Sunflower’s Editor-in-Chief, Opinion Editor, and Sports Editor. Additionally, he worked as a digital news intern for KMUW, NPR for Wichita.

Pflugradt transferred to Wichita State from Johnson County Community College in 2015.

Currently, he’s a second-year graduate student seeking a master’s degree from the Elliott School of Communication.