Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes plans to expand menu with opening of Freddy’s

An+employee+prepares+food+for+Shocker+Sports+Grill+and+Lanes+customers.+Shocker+Sports+Grill+and+Lanes+is+located+in+the+basement+of+the+Rhatigan+Student+Center.+
An employee prepares food for Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes customers. Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes is located in the basement of the Rhatigan Student Center.

Evan Pflugradt

Evan Pflugradt

Vendor competition has caused Shocker Sports Grill and Lanes to consider changing its menu.

Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers and Panda Express are each close to opening on the main floor of the Rhatigan Student Center. They replace Mondo Subs and Sono — Chartwells vendors that served the campus for a year while the university determined long-term retailers. Before Mondo Subs and Sono — a Mexican food retailer  — the RSC housed a Taco Bell and Erbert’s & Gerbert’s subs.

Kevin Konda, associate vice president of student affairs auxiliaries, said with the opening of Freddy’s and the absence of a sandwich or a Mexican food retailer, Shocker Grill and Lanes is considering expanding their menu.

Konda said Shocker Grill and Lanes will shift the focus from hamburgers to more sandwiches and Mexican food. Soup, which was offered at Fast Break — now the location of Starbucks — is also on the table for Shocker Grill and Lanes.

“We’ll try our best to provide a balance of options,” Konda said.

About the Photographer
Evan Pflugradt, Sports Editor
Evan Pflugradt is the Sports Editor of The Sunflower. Pflugradt graduated from the Elliott School of Communication in spring 2017, and was recognized as the Elliott School’s Most Outstanding Journalism Graduate for the 2017 graduating class. Pflugradt graduated from Wichita State with a bachelor of arts in communication — journalism. He has previously served as...