Female leads ready for famed roles in ‘Chicago’

If you have ever had an interest in American musical theater, you have probably heard of the show “Chicago.” 

From Broadway to the big screen, “Chicago” is an American classic that has wowed audiences all over the world from Mexico City to Moscow.

This week, The WSU School of Performing Arts Musical Theatre Program will present “Chicago” at 7:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday at WSU’s Wilner Auditorium and at 2 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $16 for the general public, $14 for military, senior citizens and faculty, $6 for children and students. WSU students receive a free ticket with a Shocker ID.

The 1996 revival of “Chicago” is the second longest-running show in Broadway history, “The Phantom of the Opera” holding the title of longest running show. 

In 2002, “Chicago” was made into a movie featuring popular actors and actresses like Richard Gere, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger as its leading roles.

“This has honestly been a dream role of mine since I was a little girl,” said Hannah Fernandes, who plays the lead role of Velma Kelly in the production. 

Fernandes auditioned for “Chicago” in November and found out about her lead role in December. 

“As an actress, being able to play Velma is amazing because she is so well known in American theater,” she said.

Fernandes has been performing since she was 10 years old.

“That’s about the time ‘Chicago’ got on my radar,” Fernandes said. “I would do shows in my house and sing and play the piano.”

The other female lead, Madi White, who plays Roxy Hart, got her start in the theater world some time after Fernandes.

“I was only in four smaller musicals before coming to WSU, and when I got here, I just jumped right in,” White said. 

This is the first leading role for White. 

“I was so excited when I got cast as Roxy,” she said. “Roxy is such a widely known character, so people have expectations, but I wanted to make her as much of my own as I could.”

White, who considers herself a vocalist rather than a dancer or actress, is working to develop her talents, and “Chicago” demands each one. 

“This show has helped me grow so much as a performer,” she said. “Being able to weave dancing in with singing and acting has been so awesome for me.”

White and Fernandes, both juniors, have been working together since their freshmen year. 

“It’s really cool to be where we are now, from where we started as freshman,” White said about Fernandes. “It’s also nice to have her there, since she is a more experienced dancer.”

Both have been in different WSU Musical Theatre productions, but this is by far the biggest role for both.

“I love Madi,” Fernandes said, “she is just such a talented person and is really able to be a chameleon with her roles, not to mention she’s hilarious as Roxy.”