News in Brief, Oct. 27

Tech company to offer class at WSU

NetApp, a technology company with offices in Wichita, is offering a class on data storage technologies at Wichita State.

The class, titled “Enterprise Storage Essentials,” is being offered through WSU’s Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department.

Students who complete the course can also take a NetApp Certified Storage Associate certification exam. If students pass, it will signal that the students have knowledge and skills in data storage, said John Watkins, professor and chair of the department.

There are currently 108 students enrolled in the class.

Shuttle bus app available for students

Researchers and students at Wichita State have developed a smartphone application that tracks WSU’s shuttle buses.

The “Shocker Shuttle Tracker” application is available for Apple and Android devices and has more than 100 downloads on each platform.

The app allows students to see,  in real time, where buses are and when they are estimated to arrive at each stop.

WSU sophomore Austin Crane is credited with the idea for the app.

Printing event, “Dia Del Rollie,” to be at ShiftSpace

ShiftSpace will be hosting a wood block printing event from 6 to 9 p.m. on Halloween this Friday.

The event will feature live prints made by a steamroller rolling over wood blocks.

Hand-printed bandanas will be given to attendees and freshly printed shirts will be available for $20.

The event is being held at the Wichita State ShiftSpace gallery at 416 S. Commerce, Suite 102. Visit shiftspace.com for more information.

— Jake Trease

SGA passes bill

The Wichita State Student Government Association passed a funding bill to transfer $11,000 to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion at a meeting on Wednesday.

The money will supplement the $25,000 to bring Laverne Cox to WSU next semester.

Cox is a black, transgender woman who plays Sophia Burset on the Netflix television series “Orange Is the New Black.”

The bill passed with majority support, 20-5. SGA will meet again this Wednesday

—Cole Yancey