The college student’s guide to “studying”

Mead’s Corner in Wichita’s Old Town district. The coffee house is one of several places where students can go to study.

There are a few places I love to loiter or “study.” I have listed numerous “hang-outs” into categories that I hope best reflect the three moods a young student might feel when choosing where to loiter longest.

Hipster

My hipster mood sets in around 9 p.m. on a Monday night. Naturally, I gravitate to where all the other weird people go on Monday nights: The Donut Whole (1720 E. Douglas).

This joint is famous for its interesting donuts, but it also has hipster drinks like boba tea and Italian sodas.

If my hipster mood sets in before 8 p.m., I go to Watermark Books (4701 E. Douglas). Watermark is for “wanna-be” hipsters that don’t like to stay up late. It is a café and bookstore that has less traffic than The Donut Whole and more sustainable eating options.

Spiritual

My spiritual study mood kicks in on Sunday afternoon after I get out of church or on an early morning. My first stop is a nice bench at The Great Plains Nature Center (6232 E. 29th St. North). On a day when the wind is calm and the air is crisp there is no better place to study in the midst of God’s greatest gifts.

But there are few days the weather in Kansas is perfect. Great Harvest Bread Co. (535 N. Woodlawn) and Mead’s Corner (430 E. Douglas) are both great spiritual places to loiter. Great Harvest opens their doors at 6:30 a.m. Monday through Saturday.

Mead’s Corner is open until 1 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. This fair trade coffee house is owned by the First United Methodist Church downtown and hosts a worship service every Sunday evening. Part of its proceeds go to charity, too.

Serious

In times such as these I go to the third floor in Ablah Library. The third floor is called “the quiet zone.” Alas, if you are really serious some people buy earplugs and wear them in the quiet zone.

Eighth Day Books (2838 E. Douglas) is an option for those that want time away from campus. From the outside, this place looks like a cute gingerbread house, but on the inside it is stacked high with new and used books. There are also quiet, study rooms upstairs.

Note: Please actually buy something when you visit these places. Loitering is illegal.