Health and wellness on campus

The Heskett Center is home to a variety of sport facilities, fitness equipments, and classrooms to meet the physical health needs of the students that are attending WSU.

Campus Recreation has a lot to offer students.

Amenities include access to fitness classes, intramural sports, leisure activities and a free membership to the Heskett Center, WSU’s main sports and recreation facility.

A variety of activity rooms are on all floors of the Heskett Center. The second floor features six basketball courts and a climbing wall. On the first, cardio and weight rooms. The basement includes racquetball courts, and the locker rooms include a natatorium with a swimming pool and diving well.

Students can become involved with Campus Recreation and enjoy a healthier life style by utilizing the Heskett Center, said Vanessa Stoner, coordinator for aquatics and risk management.

“We give [students] an opportunity to get involved. We have fitness classes; they can play intramural sports; they can come to the pool and swim,” Stoner said. “We are promoting a healthy lifestyle and also a way to socialize and meet new people.”

Campus Recreation and the Heskett Center also provide students with an opportunity for employment on campus.

“There are lots of opportunities for freshmen to get jobs,” said Maggie Simpson, coordinator of fitness and wellness programs. “We have a SHOX Recreation recruitment session in August that houses for all departments.”

Campus Recreation has its Welcomefest from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Aug. 27. The Welcomefest is a good opportunity to meet Campus Recreation representatives and see the programs it provides, Simpson said.

“There will be fitness demos, free chair massages, personal training obstacle courses,” Simpson said. “It highlights all of our programs in Campus Recreation.”

Other activities are scheduled for Campus Recreation’s Welcomefest.

“It’s a lot of activities,” said Jose Vidal, assistant director of facilities and membership. “It is two hours of music and demonstrations. There will be free food and it is just a way to welcome people to the fall semester.”