Finding the healthy, sexy you not an impossible task

With late-night study sessions, unhealthy dining options, and weekend partying, many students let their health fall to the backburner throughout their college career.

These habits may seem harmless, but can have damaging effects on grades and mental health, as well as causing long-term health consequences. Staying healthy can be simple with the right habits.

Get Enough Sleep.

While this is much easier said than done, sleep should be a top priority. When sleep deprived, students do not perform as well on tests and struggle in classes.

Studies have shown that students getting less than seven hours of sleep a night also may gain weight. In order to excel in your classes and avoid the dreaded freshman fifteen, aim for seven to eight hours of sleep a night.

Hit the Heskett.

Daily exercise also often falls to the wayside once students enter college. However, it is one of the most important habits to maintain. Students that exercise on a regular basis are happier and healthier as a whole.

Thirty minutes of exercise a few times a week is a small commitment in exchange for countless benefits. If you can’t seem to find the time to workout, try penciling it in on your daily schedule. If you view it as an appointment, you are less likely to skip.

Campus Recreation offers a variety of classes and exercise equipment for students. If solo exercise isn’t your thing, find a buddy or look into intramural options. Aim for 75 to 150 minutes of exercise a week, depending on the intensity of your work outs.

Plan your meals.

Most students know what they should be eating to stay healthy, but don’t feel that they have the time or money to make wise choices. Planning meals is one way to combat this problem.

If you plan your meals around your day, you are less likely to give in to hunger pangs on your way home from class, saving you calories and money.

If you live in the dorms, start at the salad bar and then move onto a main course. This allows you to fill up on healthy foods before you see the pizza and dessert.

Limit your alcohol intake.

It may seem easy to go out each weekend to relieve stress, but excessive use of alcohol can damage the body very quickly. Binge drinking leads to weight gain, depression and long-term damage on the body. Limit your intake, stay with a group you trust and always have a designated driver.

Utilize the Counseling and Testing Center.

Taking care of your mental health is just as important as taking care of the physical. The Counseling and Testing Center offers workshops on stress management, healthy eating and other issues that college students face. The center also offers discounted counseling to students.

Don’t let the stress of a new semester take a toll on your health. Start making small changes now and see the benefits in the long run.