‘More work to do’ for Incumbent Kansas congressman Mike Pompeo

U.S.+Representative+Mike+Pompeo+chats+with+a+WSU+class+earlier+this+month.+President-elect+Donald+Trump+selected+Pompeo+as+the+C.I.A.+Director.+
U.S. Representative Mike Pompeo chats with a WSU class earlier this month. President-elect Donald Trump selected Pompeo as the C.I.A. Director.

Jessica Green

Jessica Green

Republican U.S. 4th District Congressman Mike Pompeo was elected into the House of Representatives in 2010 and reelected in 2012 and 2014.

During that time, Pompeo said he has not reached the goals in his conservative politial views yet.

This motivated the third-term congressman to run again in this year’s general election. He faces Democrat Dan Giroux, Independent Miranda Allen and Libertarian Gordon Bakken. The district covers more than 16 counties — including Sedgwick, Harvey, Sumner, Butler and Cowley — in south central Kansas.

“I’ve served in Congress the entire time with the President from the other party that had a deeply different view of how America ought to proceed,” Pompeo said. “I have not been able to accomplish what we’ve hoped to accomplish. There’s still more work to do.”

Pompeo serves on the House Intelligence Committee. He also oversees America’s intelligence-gathering efforts, energy, healthcare, manufacturing and telecommunications.

Pompeo said health care costs increased every year and the people receiving their needs through the Affordable Care Act had 20 to 60 percent price increases. Pompeo’s solution is implementing a system that puts health care decisions back in the hands of the people who are affected by it directly.

“It’s very difficult for these critical access care hospitals to survive and the Affordable Care Act has made that much more difficult,” Pompeo said.

Pompeo said national security is most important to him as he works with law enforcement agencies and the intelligence committee. Americans are more at risk from radical Islamic terrorists than eight years ago, he said.

“I work very hard with my role in the intelligence committee to ensure our law enforcement agencies have the tools and the intelligence capacity to take down these plots and keep us all safe,” Pompeo said.

The House of Representatives voted to impanel the Benghazi Committee to investigate four American deaths that were a result of the attacks in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012. Pompeo helped the committee with presenting recommendations on how to reduce the risk of losing Americans in dangerous cities.

Democrats and state department officials on the committee opposed the documents Pompeo and his colleagues presented, Pompeo said, adding that Democrat presidential nominee Hillary Clinton stonewalled the committee for documents, later hiding the documents from the committee by placing them in her private email instead of the email accounts on the federal server.

The committee subpoenaed Clinton in March 2015, but it would take Pompeo and the committee 10 months before they were able to see the central documents.

The committee issued an 800-page report detailed with interviews, footnotes and references to documents and emails, Pompeo said.

“There are still things we don’t know, but we worked really hard at it,” Pompeo said. “We think we have helped shape a set of recommendations about how state department facilities should be secured in the future.”

Pompeo endorses Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump in the general election over Clinton because “a Republican congress with Donald Trump will be far more effective at protecting the things that matter to the people I represent.”