SGA appoints new chairman of newly formed Academics Committee

Junior Dalton Glasscock’s role in Student Government Association keeps on growing.

During Wednesday’s senate meeting, Glasscock, who was appointed at-large senator last week, was appointed chairman of the newly created Academics Committee.

The committee is designed to address student concerns about academics, including programming and tuition fees, Student Body President Joseph Shepard said.

Glasscock’s appointment is the latest in several positions held by the junior business management major.

Previously, Glasscock served as an at-large senator his freshman year, was elected for the same position his sophomore year before being promoted to chief of staff and served as chairman of the Oversight and Inquiries Committee over the summer, a committee that was dissolved during the first fall meeting of Senate.

Glasscock said SGA hopes to investigate what students want out of the Academics Committee, since it is a new position.

“Student Government has focused, predominantly in the past on campus issues and problems affecting the student body and student life, but many times, we’ve neglected the academics aspect,” Glasscock said. “That’s what we’re all here at school for — academics first.”

He added that SGA will focus on investigating different systematic changes students want to see.

Shepard said Glasscock’s appointment is a smart one.

“[Glasscock] has really helped move Student Government Association in positive ways and in more than one way,” he said. “I think that oftentimes, when one is younger, it can kind of go unnoticed. He’s a junior now, but he’s been very involved with Student Government Association.”

Glasscock said he thinks this position will be a good opportunity because it is new.

“I think that gives a lot of room for growth,” he said, “and also room for a stable foundation that other administrations in the future can add on to.”