The semester in review

Here are 10 stories from the fall 2018 semester that The Sunflower’s editorial staff thought were definitive selections.

File+Photo+of+the+WSU+Football+helmet.+

File Photo

File Photo of the WSU Football helmet.

It’s impossible to narrow an entire semester’s worth of news down to 10 stories. One person may value the newsworthiness of a story only 20 people read over a story 1,000 people read.

With that in mind, here are 10 selections from fall 2018 that The Sunflower’s editorial team thought defined the semester. These stories were selected at the editors’ discretion, based upon a variety of factors.

What ever happened to that football helmet? – Sports Editor Evan Pflugradt asked a question many people forgot about: what happened to that football helmet, and its implied accompanying football program, that President John Bardo tweeted a couple years ago?

#WhyIDidntReport – Digital Managing Editor Andrew Linnabary told the story of a WSU student who was raped in Shocker Hall, reflecting the national #WhyIDidntReport movement that coincided with accusations against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh by Christine Blasey Ford.

Former UPD sergeant sues WSU for discrimination, retaliation – Editor in Chief Matthew Kelly wrote the story of a former WSUPD sergeant who is suing the university for allegedly violating the Americans with Disabilities Act and retaliating against him for raising concerns about racial discrimination in the department.

SGA: 100 veterans did not receive GI Bill benefits after Wichita State failed to process paperwork – News Editor Jenna Farhat put the spotlight on the fact that over 100 student veterans were not receiving their GI Bill benefits after WSU failed to process their paperwork due to understaffing at the Student Veteran Center.

Borland: Gentrification robs Wichita of its cultural identity – Photographer Kenzie Borland picked up the pen and wrote a column about gentrification in Wichita, arguing that it is taking away from the city’s identity. 

Veteran major leaguer Mike Pelfrey hits the books – Sports Editor Evan Pflugradt wrote a feature on a 12-year MLB veteran, Mike Pelfrey, who returned to Wichita State this year to wrap up his degree.

Farewell, Fairmount – News Editor Jenna Farhat sends off the now-demolished Fairmount Towers by speaking with students who had lived in the residence hall.

Fraternities: 3 percent of the student organization population. Half of organization-based conduct violations. – Digital Managing Editor Andrew Linnabary analyzes fraternity-related conduct violations in the wake of another suspension and investigation into a WSU fraternity.

WSU rolls out ‘student-driven’ plan to raise student fees, upgrade campus infrastructure – Editor in Chief Matthew Kelly wrote about a WSU initiative to upgrade campus facilities by way of an infrastructure student fee hike.

#LongLiveMalcolm: Dexter Dennis honors his late teammate – Sports reporter Marshall Sunner wrote a feature on Dexter Dennis, who had a friend murdered last year. Dennis now plays in his friend’s honor.