Fraternity attempts to rebuild brotherhood

Omega Psi Phi fraternity is attempting to reestablish its dormant Epsilon Psi chapter.

The chapter was once a large part of the Greek community at Wichita State, initiating over 500 men since 1968, but its membership has decreased.

“During the late ’90s and early 2000’s Omegas were an integral part of student life, in student clubs/organizations and sports,” said Larry Burks, the 28th 8th District Representative for the fraternity.

Burks and on-campus adviser Frankie Brown and Everett Bledsoe with the Membership Selection Program are seeking African American males who are at least sophomores with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher to start rebuilding the fraternity by the end of the academic year.

“We are seeking men who are willing to commit to a lifetime of community service, [and] be dedicated to the principles upon which we were founded…” Burks said.

Those principals are manhood, scholarship, perseverance and uplift, he said.

Bledsoe shared some of the challenges the chapter is currently facing.

“Some of the challenges that we are seeing are mostly with visibility, and costs,” Bledsoe said. “Some students cannot afford the costs to become a member although they may be interested. Other students don’t know that we are now on campus.”

To combat these issues, Omega Psi Phi is hosting “Omega Week” from April 20-26, and is participating in the Multicultural Step Show on April 26.

Support for Omega Psi Phi is strong within the rest of the Greek community.

“I think it’s great that Omega Psi Phi is coming back,” said senior Steven Lattimore, a member of Alpha Phi Alpha. “We are all different organizations, but ultimately we are on the same team.”

Potential men of Omega Psi Phi should contact Burks at [email protected] or 200-5217, Brown at [email protected] or 978-3540 or Bledsoe at [email protected] or 992-2873.