Young claims Gold in Rio

Evan Pflugradt

Deja Young is a Paralympic champion, claiming Gold in the T47 100-meter race in the Paralympics, Sunday afternoon. Young edged out competitors in stride with a time of 12.15 seconds.  

Alicja Fiodorow of Poland finished as Young’s closest competitor, claiming the Silver medal with a time of 12.46. 

Young, a reigning All-American, advanced to the finals after winning preliminary competition with the fastest time, 12.12, edging the closest competitor out by a hundredth of a second. 

The Wichita State junior was born with a shoulder deformity after the doctor delivering her pulled too hard on her head creating a dislocated shoulder. 

A native of Mesquite, Texas, Young is one of 47 athletes named to the U.S. Paralympic Track and Field National Team. In January, Young was named to the U.S. National Team. 

Young will compete in the T47 200-meter prelims at 4:33 p.m. Thursday. If she were to advance, the finals are set for roughly 9:30 a.m. Friday.

Evan Pflugradt, Sports Editor

Evan Pflugradt is the Sports Editor of The Sunflower.

Pflugradt graduated from the Elliott School of Communication in spring 2017, and was recognized as the Elliott School’s Most Outstanding Journalism Graduate for the 2017 graduating class. Pflugradt graduated from Wichita State with a bachelor of arts in communication — journalism.

He has previously served as The Sunflower’s Editor-in-Chief, Opinion Editor, and Sports Editor. Additionally, he worked as a digital news intern for KMUW, NPR for Wichita.

Pflugradt transferred to Wichita State from Johnson County Community College in 2015.

Currently, he’s a second-year graduate student seeking a master’s degree from the Elliott School of Communication.