Time running short on free health class

Tami Logue, wife of Mike Logue who is the Senior Painter in Building Maintenance, Nick Hilton, WSU alumni, and Teresa Moses, NIAR employee, are taking the Weight Management Class offered by the Couseling and Testing Center at the Heskett. Each was given a food item and was responsible of pointing out the calories, fat and serving size.

Students working and taking classes during the summer don’t do as much walking as they do during the fall or spring semesters, which tends to show if students take care of themselves.

While some exercise, others work on their cooking methods.

Whichever way one goes, students can learn about them and more ways in Weight Management, the only free four-week course sponsored by the Wichita State Counseling and Testing Center this summer.

Tresza Hutcheson, a psychology intern at the WSU Counseling and Testing Center, teaches the class.

“It is a brief four sessions with lots of information,” Hutcheson said.

Nick Hilton, a 2011 graduate, heard about the class from his sister Teresa Moses, a records information specialist at the National Institute for Aviation Research. They are taking the class together.

“The thing that I’ve really been learning is the differences of the fats,” Hilton said.

Hilton says the class helped him reinforce what he already knew and to make some changes.

Though it is a free class, homework is assigned.

“There’s been some online stuff and checking some of the computation for body weight mass for yourself, doing pros and cons of losing weight and not gaining weight,” Hilton said.

With so much misinformation, Hutcheson says it is hard to make healthy decisions.

Though students are the class’ main target, Hutcheson has noticed most programs like the Weight Management class also attract faculty and staff.

The topic covered in class the past two weeks has been about nutrition. Next week, exercise is the topic. The month ends with setting out behavior plans and stress management.

“We just supported her [Hutcheson] with facility space and advertising,” Shelley Rich, associate director of programs at the Heskett Center, said. The Weight Management class meets from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. Tuesdays in Heskett Room 206 through July 31.

Weight Watchers and Take Shape for Life are other programs available in the Heskett Center. They may include fees and dues.