This week’s brief news — June 9

University Methodist Church parking lot reopened

After a brief closure, Lot 34 — a student, faculty, staff, and visitor parking area — has reopened for use. Located north of 21st Street by the University Methodist Church, the lot was temporarily closed for the first phase of Cessna Stadium renovations. Nearby lots 3N, 11, and S3 will remain closed for the rest of the summer as the demolition of the east stands continues.

A live stream of the renovations can be viewed via YouTube, and the list of renovation phases can be read here.

Campus lanes to close as crosswalks are repainted

Starting on June 12, Facilities Services will begin repainting crosswalks on campus. All lanes with crosswalks will be closed from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. until June 16. Students, faculty, staff and guests are advised to refrain from parking on campus grounds or find parking spaces not located near crosswalks, such as lots around Cessna Stadium or Lot 34, located north of campus.

Math Lab relocated to Lindquist Hall

WSU’s Math Lab — a free source of tutoring assistance for students in beginner math, algebra, calculus and statistics courses — has been relocated to room 107 in Lindquist Hall. During the summer 2023 semester, the lab will share a space with the Shocker Learning Center (SLC). 

The Math Lab and SLC are open without appointment from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on weekdays. 

Students can request help in Math 012, 111, 112, 123, 131, 144, 242 and Statistics 370. Aid in upper-level math courses is also available through request in the SSC portal

Widener Global Leadership Program to continue after founder donates $300,000

CEO of GloBil Consulting Group Peri Widener has donated $300,000 to fund the continuation of the W. Frank Barton School of Business Widener Global Leaders Program. Named after Widener, the program aims to incorporate her three primary disciplines – communications, business and fine arts – into a comprehensive program for women majoring in those subjects. With Widener’s contribution, the program will continue for five more years. 

Students interested in applying for admission into the program can do so on the Widener GLP form and have until June 30 to submit their resumes and statements of interest. 

NIAR to expand military fleet development

Beginning June 1, the Wichita State University National Institute for Aviation Research (NIAR) will team up with McFarland Research and Development to increase the capacity of military fleet sustainment research and development initiatives. NIAR will utilize the noncommercial research company’s facilities, equipment and staff to optimize airframe repair and replacement. 

Select students will have the opportunity to work alongside NIAR and McFarland R&D personnel, including founder Randy McFarland. The new staff and facilities will become a permanent addition to the NIAR Sustainment Lab.

Additional information regarding the collaboration can be found in the Wichita Business Journal and WSU News.

Associate Professor uses $500,000 grant to study neutrinos

After being awarded nearly $500,000 by the U.S. Department of Energy, associate physics professor Mathew Muether is utilizing his funds and experience to study the behavior of neutrinos – subatomic particles with a minuscule mass and no electrical charge. 

Muether will continue his study of neutrinos in the underground FermiLab in Batavia, Illinois, using the facilities’ particle physics and accelerator equipment. 

Many scientists believe that neutrinos may be the key to better-advancing electronics, nuclear energy and new means of energy production. Muether will contribute to the field by developing a new computing and software infrastructure for the deep underground neutrino experiment (DUNE) project to further understand the mysteries of neutrinos.

Keeping Up with the Crime Log

The Wichita State Police Department (WSUPD) maintains a daily log of incidents on the WSU campus and surrounding area. Each case and its details can be accessed via the Crime Log website on the WSU homepage. 

This week, some notable entries were:

Repeated False Emergency Reports

WSUPD officers are currently attempting to apprehend an individual who made several false emergency calls to the department on the evening of May 31. The calls were placed directly to the WSUPD office at 1950 N Research Plaza

Under 2012 statute 21-5904a., making false 911 calls is punishable as a misdemeanor. In extreme cases, where police, fire department or paramedic services are wasted, the caller can be held responsible for restitution, or depending on the severity level, the crime can be classified as a felony. Officers filed a report of the incident the same evening.

Two arrests made

Two individuals were arrested this week on university grounds by WSUPD officers. On June 1, a 19-year-old woman was arrested for battery at the Hyatt Place, located on the east side of campus. According to Kansas law, battery is classified as “knowingly or recklessly causing bodily harm to another person” or “knowing causing physical contact with another person when done in a rude, insulting or angry manner.”

Only two hours later, officers were called to assist the Harvey County Sheriff’s Department with arresting a 33-year-old man on campus. The arrest was made on 3550 E WuShock Drive shortly after 2 a.m.

Damage reported on Koch Arena statue

On June 2, a passer-by reported damage to the photo plaque on the Dave Stallworth statue outside of Koch Arena. The statue, which was unveiled in 2018, features pro basketball player and WSU alumni “Dave the Rave,” who played three seasons with the Shockers and set 18 school records during the 1960s. 

The upper portion of the plaque displaying the 1964-1965 Final Four Team had been partially torn away, with the faces of #20 Melvin Reed and #40 Larry Nosich sustaining the most damage.

While it remains unknown when exactly the damage was caused and what/who caused it, responding officers filed a report, and repairs are expected to be made.